03 August, 2017

Sligo Townhall and Mayor McHugh

We were in Sligo yesterday for an eye test.  The clinic wanted to see how I progressed since the surgery.  I was happy with the results but was informed that  a new cataract is starting to form in my right eye.  So, I guess in a few years  I will be returning to Sligo for more surgery. :(

Sligo Townhall is a detached seven-bay two-storey Lombardo Romanesque palazzo-style town hall, built c. 1865, returning nine-bays to south, with central single-bay break-front, three-stage square-plan clock tower to north-east. Extensively restored and rennovated, c. 1998 (Wikipedia)


To the right of Sligo Townhall stands a statue of Mr P. A. McHugh who was Mayor of Sligo in 1888, 1895, 1896, 1897, 1898 and 1900 and also a Member of Parliament for North Leitrim in 1892.  McHugh died in 1909, with this fine statue being erected in his honour in 1916. 
(Wikipedia)



25 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen such an elaborately styled town hall like this anywhere else in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big building, looks very Victorian-ish in architecture so goes with the age gap you've mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That style of architecture you'd rarely see here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...the trim around the arched windows is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I remember of that place is getting off at the railway station when my Aunty collected us in the car

    ReplyDelete
  6. McHugh must have been well respected, Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the possible surgery. :(

    That is an impressive building. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a grand building! I have cataracts but they are progressing very slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Sligo Townhall is truly a magnificent building. The curved windows and stone work adds to its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's quite a nice building and the statue is impressive too. Waiting for the other shoe to drop for surgery? Not so great. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a lovely building, Bill! I love your perspective in these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fine building and I also notice a very fancy fence behind the statue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice Townhall. When we were in Sligo didn't saw it but a lot of Yeats.

    ReplyDelete
  14. He is still watching over his city from above.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Bill.

    Beautiful building Bill

    Groettie from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good that you are happy with the eye test results, hopefully when the time comes the cataract will be taken care of.

    Your photos are lovely, and what a fine town hall that is. Greetings and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great architecture. ( I love the way this brick/stonework is done.)
    I also like the fence. Quite stylish.
    HAPPY WEEKEND!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That building is stunning. What a gorgeous building.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mr McHugh looks as though he's about to step off the plinth! Good news that your eye surgery is a success, but not so good about the other cataract. But the happy thing is that it can be fixed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think we've been to Sligo, although we've been as close as Westport and Clifden. Thanks for the views.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Sligo Town Hall Bill.. never mind Romanesque, it's tres romantic ☺

    ReplyDelete